In a landmark moment for me, the state of college football in general, and well, I suppose even the entirety of human existence, I am proud to announce that my first book, Eyeblack Odyssey, is now officially for sale.
Let the Earth commence shaking.
Okay, with all of that out of the way, allow me to break it down for folks. We’ll no doubt have some fun announcements in the coming days and weeks (and months?) relating to everything under the sun pertaining to this book (including but not limited to personal appearances, new purchasing options, promotions, and media news/reviews), and I’ll do my usual best at blogging the process for everyone’s amusement, but so far as cold, hard realities as of this moment, I can share the following:
* The book is available at Createspace and the list price is $13. (I came up with this list price via a complicated process of analysis and metrics that mostly involved me tossing oranges into the air and watching my dogs bark at them as they hit the ground.)
* The shipping costs on Createspace can get sort of stupidly high, and in my experience, the more expensive choices are completely unnecessary. I have ordered with standard shipping (about $4) and received the book in a couple of days each time. If you need it overnight and have the funds, by all means go for it, but I can also report that standard shipping seems to do the trick just fine. That puts the total out-of-pocket expense at $17. Bargain, my friends. BARGAIN.
* The book will be available on Amazon.com, and I’m told this will occur within the week. If you’d like to go this route, I can’t fault you (I would probably do the same if I were in your shoes), but I will remind you that I get higher royalties if you go through Createspace. So if you want to throw Dave a bone here, using Createspace is a good way to do it.
* Barnes & Noble, the library system, and various other carriers will be providing the book for order going forward, but this is something that won’t be available for a month or two (and it also provides the least amount of profit for me, so forget I mentioned it — ha!).
* I will be doing some selling with the local guys, hoping to get it into some area bookstores. As this process goes along, I will provide updates. And if anyone I encounter is a spectacular jerk, I will attempt to humiliate them here. Good times.
* Kindle/electronic is in the works, but this may take a few months to really get going. This is something I’m committed to doing, but it may take a bit for us to get there. I’ll provide updates here on the blog as I have them.
* If you really enjoy the book, please spread the word. Or alternatively, if you feel obligated to do so out of friendship/guilt, please do so as well. I’ll post more ways people can help in the coming weeks.
* Finally, with that in mind, and in the interests of celebration and pimping my work out a bit more, I’ll be doing a series of daily blog posts here on the site that hopefully embody the spirit of the book. These should be a fun distraction for all of us, so keep coming back to DaveGladow.com for more depraved musings from a college football maniac.
Thanks again, everyone!